Friday, December 11, 2009

Could my astigmatism have been caused by wearing cosmetic, color changing contacts for 5 years everyday?

I have been wearing blue (plano) lenses for 6 years, everyday, only for cosmetic purposes, and four years ago I was diagnosed with having astigmatism (I had never had an eye exam before though). I don't remember what my vision was like before, maybe I always had an eye problem and just didn't notice (maybe it was very slight), but I am afraid that these lenses could have caused my astigmatism, and are, therefore, dangerous for me to continue to wear (I still wear them everyday, and wear glasses for astigmatism when I need to read). Basically my question is, could colored contacts (plano, meaning, no prescription), cause astigmatism if worn everyday? Also, is it ok for people with astigmatism to wear plano colored contacts, even though they are not toric and are of the general size (not fitted particularly for my eyes) if they also wear prescription glasses when needed? I know that getting fitted is a requirement for the best fit, but, cosmetic lenses often can't come in any size other than the general size, and they have never bothered me, or rotated, or moved around in my eye.





Thanks!Could my astigmatism have been caused by wearing cosmetic, color changing contacts for 5 years everyday?
Astigmatism and Contact Lenses





True or false: If you have astigmatism, you can鈥檛 wear contact lenses, especially soft lenses. Answer: FALSE. New technology now allows us to correct even high amounts of astigmatism with contact lenses鈥es, even soft contact lenses!





Astigmatism is a refractive condition of the eye that is caused by its shape, just like myopia (nearsight) and hyperopia (farsight). Nearsight is caused by an eye that is too long, while farsight is caused by an eye that is too short. Astigmatism is caused by an eye that has two different powers, which cause a splitting of an image into two focus points. The most common form is corneal astigmatism, in which the clear front window of the eye is not perfectly spherical, but warped, with two unequal curvatures. These unequal curvatures result in magnification differences and cause blurry vision, shadows seen around objects, eye muscle spasms, eyestrain, and headaches.





Approximately 84% of the population have astigmatism鈥t is by far the most common refractive problem, more than nearsight and farsight put together!





Both eyeglasses and contact lenses correct astigmatism, but contact lenses do a much better job. Astigmatism eyeglasses cause distortion just like those ';Fun House'; mirrors that make you look tall and skinny or short and fat鈥here is more magnification in one direction than the opposite. Most of the distortion occurs away from the lens centers, so large eyeglass frames cause more problems than small frames. In addition, when you move, the side vision appears to ';swim';. Contact lenses do not cause any of these problems because the eyes are always seeing through the center of the lenses, where there is no distortion! When you move your eyes, the contact lenses move too.





Currently there are 42 FDA approved soft toric (astigmatism) contact lenses available, with different materials and designs to allow knowledgeable doctors to custom fit anyone with any amount of astigmatism.





Most doctors still tell people that they can鈥檛 wear contacts if they have astigmatism. The truth is that it is too time consuming for them to fit astigmatism contacts, or they have not kept up with new contact lens technology.





You really do have to try them for yourself. If you already use astigmatism contacts, or you鈥檝e tried them unsuccessfully in the past, call any of our offices and our doctors will be happy to discuss what鈥檚 new for you.Could my astigmatism have been caused by wearing cosmetic, color changing contacts for 5 years everyday?
Definitely wearing contacts could have caused it. Contacts messed my eyes up horribly, it's a long story, but now I can't wear contacts anymore, I am not able to get lasik eye surgery, and I have to wear glasses forever and see ';ghost images'; everywhere. Contacts gave me keratoconus.
  • treatments
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    skin rash